Talk about Translyvania Mania!
Last night, the Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theaters (EMACT) announced the nominees for its annual “Distinguished Achievements and Special Honors” (DASH) awards.
EMACT is a prestigious organization that’s been around for 30 years and whose membership extends from Boston to Worcester. DASH is sort of like the Tony awards for the Eastern Massachusetts area.
During the broadcast announcement, Norton Singers was excited to learn the group received nine total nominations—including best Musical Production—for its recent production of Young Frankenstein, which took place at Wheaton College in June.
In addition to Best Musical, the group received nominations in the following categories:
· Best Direction of a Musical: Ted Mitchell (Attleboro resident. This is Ted’s second year in a row being nominated for Best Direction.)
· Best Choreography: Samantha Brior-Jones (Stoughton resident)
· Best Costume Design for a Musical: Kathryn Ridder (Hanover resident)
· Best Set Design for a Musical: Corbett Thursby (Attleboro resident)
· Best Make up and Wigs for a Musical: Daniel Gravely (Easton resident)
· Best Supporting Actor: Kevin Mischley as Igor (Wrentham resident. This is Kevin’s third nomination. In 2008 he was selected as Best Lead Actor for the Norton Singers production of Anything Goes and he was nominated as Best Lead Actor last year for Jekyll & Hyde.)
· Best Supporting Actress: Valerie Cabral as Frau Blucher (Mansfield resident)
· Best Ensemble
The number of nominations Norton Singers received for Young Frankenstein ties last year’s record nominations for Jekyll & Hyde.
“We are thrilled to be recognized by EMACT for our work on Young Frankenstein,” said Anna McReynolds, president of Norton Singers. “This means that this Norton Singers’ production was ranked in the top six this year against over 100 other community theater productions. The show involved over 40 local performers and backstage crew members and was truly a labor of love for everyone involved.”
The winners of the DASH awards will be announced on August 26 at the 2017 DASH gala, which is being held at Cary Hall in Lexington.